Torpedo Sandwich; Riiight; Socialite

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 20 00:01:00 UTC 2003

   I wrote to the City Council Speaker to repeal "Big Apple Corner."  The disgrace must be complete.
   Yesterday, I walked out of the NYU Bobst Library and saw the police vehicles.  Someone jumped from an apartment window.  A third death.  I'm a little depressed right now.

TORPDO

   I told Sam that this was a nice find.  I've traced "submarine" to Delaware, and Ancestry has NO Delaware newspapers.  I've been waiting for the Delaware newspapers and the BROOKLYN EAGLE, but Sam's sandwich research is still welcome.

      Mrs. Russell Cruikshank Dies; Civic Leader in Brooklyn, 75
              New York Times  (1857-Current file).       New York, N.Y.: Feb 19, 1964.                   p. 36 (1 page):
(...)   Although she was active in many philanthropic and civic organizations in Brooklyn and gave her energies to historical and patriotic societies, Mrs. Cruikshank probably considered the time she devoted to the Navy Street Canteen during World War II as the most rewarding period.
   It was during this service that she learned about culinary tastes, living habits and social mores of a variety of servicemen.  She was one of three women who organized the canteen before Pearl Harbor in an abandoned schoolhouse at Navy and Concord Streets, near the New York Naval Shipyard.
      _Lesson From Sailors_
   Mrs. Cruikshank once recalled her shock at learning about new foods.  "I'd like a torpedo sandwich, please," a sailor asked during the early days of the canteen.
   She was stumped and admitted it.  but she made it her business to find out what it was.  Thereafter, no request for a torpedo sandwich stymied her.  She knew that it consisted of a long French bread slit lengthwise and crammed with all the things that a serviceman's peculiar tastes sought. (...)

RIGHT

   Someone used "riight," so I'll get right to it.  The CASSELL DICTIONARY OF SLANG doesn't record it.

RIIGHT--5,930 Google hits
RIIIGHT--18,200 Google hits
RIIIIGHT--19,900 Google hits
RIIIIIGHT--12,000 Google hits
RIIIIIIGHT--6,390 Google hits
RIIIIIIIGHT--3,860 Google hits
RIIIIIIIIGHT--2,310 Google hits
RIIIIIIIIIGHT--1,680 Google hits
RIIIIIIIIIIGHT--1,220 Google hits

     There are tons of bad hits.  There's this, which doesn't seem right.

      ABOUT LONG ISLAND
       Francis X. Clines.       New York Times  (1857-Current file).       New York, N.Y.: Aug 19, 1979.                   p. LI2 (1 page):
   Often they seem to react to all sorts of things only by smiling and shouting "All riiight!" and applauding in that rock-concert way with their hands above their heads.

SOCIALITE

   My wife, Paris Hilton, has asked me to do "socialite."  OED has 1928, and I can't seem to beat it.  I see in the ADS-L archives that the coinage was credited to TIME magazine.  Unfortunately, that's not digitized.
   (OT:  Her sister, Hanoi Hilton, is a pain.)