Irish Turkey (1904); Red Mike and Violets (1925)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 20 02:28:22 UTC 2003

   DARE has 1926 for "Irish turkey."  The HDAS volume H-O is missing here at NYU, and I don't know what it has for "red mike and violets."

      CHUCK STRIKES A NEW GRAFT
              The National Police Gazette (1845-1906).       New York: Jul 23, 1904.       Vol. VOLUME LXXXV, Iss. No. 1406.;             p. 3 (1 page):
   I'd been better off if I'd let it go at dat an' stuck ter de Irish turkey--ah, corned beef, ain't yer on?--wot Her Nobs hands out reg'lar.

 Matter of Food.
              New York Times  (1857-Current file).       New York, N.Y.: Mar 24, 1907.                   p. SM2 (1 page):
   "If corned beef is Irish turkey, what is macaroni?"
   "Ginney-hen."

      Corned Beef Favorite Dinner in New York
              The Washington Post  (1877-1954).       Washington, D.C.: Jun 15, 1925.                   p. 1 (1 page):
   New York, June 14 (by A. P.).--Corned beef and cabbage is the favorite dinner dish of most New Yorkers, if the poll just completed by the United Restaurant Owners association gave an accurate picture of the metropolitan appetite.
   Of the 180,000 votes cast, "Red Mike and Violets," as the succulent dish is known in less ornate caravansaries, led with more than 23,000.  Second on the list of preferences was "vegetable dinner," with 18,549, while third place went to veal cutlet and fourth to Lond Island duckling.

      Letters to the Editor
       NORMAN C. PAULSON, Washington..       The Washington Post, Times Herald  (1959-1973).       Washington, D.C.: Apr 2, 1967.                   p. C6 (1 page):
   Alas and alack for all the hymns to "red mike and violets" and "Irish turkey," corned beef and cabbage is not now and never was an Irish dish.  Its origins are as American as apple pie and as Yankee as the clambake.