Antedating of "darktown" (1912)

Sam Clements sclements at NEO.RR.COM
Wed Oct 22 01:18:37 UTC 2003

I can't find the word in OED nor M-W.  I may have missed it.

HDAS has 1916.  Meaning, "a neighborhood inhabited principaly by blacks."
>From the song, "Dark-Town Strutter's Ball."

I couldn't help searching up some more articles by James Meade from the
Atlanta Constitution--the fellow who wrote the "hot dog" article I sent to
Gerald Cohen.  Mr. Meade has a nice, slangy, writing style.

>From the Atlanta Constitution,  May 5, 1912, page (hard to read), column
four.  This is probably another of those Sunday feature section articles.

      <"He's a Bear!  He's a Bear--"     And to the riotous accompaniment of
a careless orchestra, Darktown danced.  It was the grand opening of a new
cafe and ball room on the rue de Collins.  Bright the lamps shone o'er dusky
belies, and gallant sable men.>

Wowzzer.  This article starts out gangbusters!  I'll have to read it in it's
entirety.  Stay tuned.

SC