Fwd: Re: huzzah

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Wed Oct 22 15:32:38 UTC 2003

I'm not interested in the tiger term, but in "huzzah."  In a recent TV
documentary on the first settlement in the Northwest Territory at Marietta,
Ohio in 1786 or thereabouts, post-Revolutionary War soldiers were
re-enacted as shouting "huzzah!" when they toasted their success, or a
speech, or a celebratory meal.  Is there evidence that this was the earlier
term, before "hurrah"?