King of the Kangaroos (1858); Brooklyn Eagle

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 23 15:13:56 UTC 2003

GEORGE THOMPSON QUERY--Have you looked at the American Antiquarian Society's THE WHIP and BROADWAY BELLE?  There are two boxes here at the AAS, and I'll check 'em if you haven't.

DIGITIZED NEWSPAPERS FOR THE FUTURE--The Cincinnati Enquirer, of course.

KING OF THE KANGAROOS

   Our first "kangaroo court" is from Texas in 1853.  The HORNED FROG was a humor periodical from Galveston, and this might help.

   19 June 1858, THE HORNED FROG (Galveston, Texas), pg. 1, col. 4:
   The King of the Kangaroos is in town--the renowned Col. Kinney.  He is a strange man--full of adventure but was never false to a friend.  He has been the best abused man in the state.  Vituperation has assailed him, but he still lives, and when he does fall, he will fall with his feet to his foes.

BROOKLYN EAGLE

  Subj:    RE: Popik RE: Ask a BPLibrarian
  Date:    10/23/2003 10:31:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time
  From:    "Holland, Joy" <J.Holland at BrooklynPublicLibrary.org>
  To:    "'Bapopik at aol.com'" <Bapopik at aol.com>
  Sent from the Internet (Details)

We are still trying to determine how best to approach digitizing the huge amount of information in the Eagle from 1902-1955 (the newspaper grew as it got older.) Also there are copyright issues still to be resolved and funding is not yet in place. So although the Library seems to be committed to moving forward with phase two of this project, the later period will not be available in the very near future. That's the bad news. The good news is that once all of these things are in place the actual digitizing will happen quite quickly.

Other good news, which may or may not be of help to you: we still have the morgue clippings of the Eagle from 1902-1955 so you can give us a subject heading, name or whatever and we can do a search for you. Sometimes we get lucky! You can send me your search terms via email if you like. Of course, if you know the date of the material you are looking for, you can still go to the microfilm, either here at BPL or at NYPL on 42nd St.

Joy Holland
Brooklyn Collection

Question:

What are the plans for the BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE online?  When will it be
added to (after 1902)?  I need some information from the 1930s!