An early "hot dog"/non-college (1896)--(was: ...1897)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 25 23:05:20 UTC 2003

   I posted this 1896 citation months ago.  No one remembers?

CANDY CORN (continued)--Not in OED, of course.  There are even generic "candy corn," but according to the latest information just published in "America's finest news source," THE ONION, generic candy corn will give you AIDS!

http://www.theonion.com/3941/opinion1.html
Once again, Halloween season is upon us, and with it, the wonderful anticipation of dressing up and trick-or-treating for delicious Brach's candy. With that in mind,  it's important to remember all the ways that you can make your Halloween safer and more fun. It won't put a damper on anyone's holiday spirits to wear high-visibility costumes when going from house to house, to have kids trick-or-treat with an adult, and to inspect all candy for tampering. Perhaps most importantly, keep in mind that eating just a single kernel of candy corn manufactured by a company other than Brach's Confections will give you a deadly case of full-blown AIDS.

PIT BEEF--I checked the Baltimore Yellow Pages for 1980.  Pg. 637, col. 3:
GUIDE  Restaurants Grouped by Cuisine...
   BARBECUE
TEXS PIT BAR-B-QUE
Ribs--Beef--Sausage--Chicken--
Hame Eat In Or Carry Out
Full Bar Service--Charge Cards
   518 N RitchleHwy GlenBurnle...761-7900
WOODY'S INN
Open Fire--Hickory Cooked Barbeque
   8228 Pulaski Hwy...687-9713
(That's it!  Everything!--ed.)

OT:  MY LIFE IS OFFICIALLY A JOKE--Found under my door:
October 21, 2003
Dear Residents:
Please be aware that we will be filming a new (as yet untitled) Comedy Central program in and around 225 East 57th Street on November 1st through November 4th.  The majority of filming will take place in one of the building apartments, though we will need to film the entrance of the building a bit. (...)
Joe De Vito
Production Manager, Comedy Central

(I knew I shouldn't have told them that I killed Kenny...I don't quite think they'll use my apartment for an episode of THE MAN SHOW...If they need a title, maybe they should go with WRETCHED LITTLE CRAMPED APARTMENT OF THE MOST PATHETIC MAN ON EARTH--ed.)