Buffalo's Truffalo (1997) & Sponge Candy (1910)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 27 00:22:27 UTC 2003

   "Sponge candy" is not mentioned at all in (all together now) John F.
Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK (1999).  "Sponge candy" is also
not in (all together) the OED.  "Sponge candy" is a Buffalo regional specialty.
 I don't know if it will make DARE, which stops at "Sk."
   There's no mystery to this regional item.  See the web site for Fowler's
Chocolates:  H. W. Fowler wrote MODERN ENGLISH USAGE--then gave it all up to
make "sponge candy" in Buffalo, New York?  Go figure.

http://www.fowlerschocolates.com/page/FC/CTGY/About_Us

http://www.fowlerschocolates.com/page/FC/PROD/BS/SC

http://www.fowlerschocolates.com/page/FC/PROD/BS/728
> Truffaloes
What would you call a truffle that is shaped like a bison, and made in
Buffalo? Why, a Truffalo, of course! Milk Chocolate, with a hazelnut truffle center
and Dark Chocolate with a raspberry truffle center. 8 oz.

Also, there's Romolo Chocolates of Erie, PA:

http://www.romolochocolates.com/
Romolo Chocolates' rich history began with Romolo, an Italian who immigrated
to New York City in 1906. His grandson Tony, owner and master confectioner at
Romolo Chocolates, continues to make cremes, caramels and other confections in
the traditional methods his grandfather began after years working with candy
makers in New York City and Chicago.  The family's confection making and
chocolate mastery were learned under his tutelage.

http://shop.romolochocolates.com/shopsite/romolo/index.html
The "famous in Romolo's Famous Sponge Candy came into play years after Romolo
developed an impossibly delicate confection covered in rich milk chocolate
that captured the taste buds and hearts of local Erieites and the attention of a
national candy company. Needless to say, the national company never did get
an exclusive contract, and the family recipe for sponge candy continues to be
made at Romolo Chocolates and devoured far and wide. A chunk of delicate crisp
that melts in your mouth, has a hint of molasses flavor and is coated in
creamy milk chocolate, Romolo's Famous Sponge Candy is our most popular piece of
candy.

(TRADEMARKS)
Word Mark    TRUFFALOES
Goods and Services  IC 030. US 046. G & S: buffalo-shaped candies with soft
centers. FIRST USE: 19971215. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19971225
Mark Drawing Code   (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number   75394557
Filing Date November 20, 1997
Filed ITU   FILED AS ITU
Published for Opposition    July 7, 1998
Registration Number 2221017
Registration Date   January 26, 1999
Owner   (REGISTRANT) Original Fowler's Chocolate Co., Inc. CORPORATION NEW
YORK 100 River Rock Drive Suite 102 Buffalo NEW YORK 14207
Attorney of Record  TRICIA T SEMMELHACK
Type of Mark    TRADEMARK
Register    PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

   "Sponge candy" isn't in a lot of the usual suspects (Making of America,
Brooklyn Eagle, American Kitchen Magazine).  I haven't yet checked ProQuest.

(ANCESTRY)
   24 January 1895, FORT WAYNE NEWS (Fort Wayne, Indiana), pg.1, col. 7:
   Something new and delicious--Pepsin Sponge Candy, at Batchelder's, No. 29
West Main Street.

   23 March 1907, WASHINGTON POST, pg. 3, col. 4:
Chocolate Sponge
Pound Packages... 29c
(This could be "sponge cake," but it's in a section of candy advertisements,
with no cake mentioned--ed.)

   13 April 1910, EVENING NEWS (Ada, Oklahoma), pg.4?, col. 3:
      Sponge Candy
   One cup of table syrup, one cup of granulated sugar; let boil until it
cracks when dropped in cold water.  Take two teaspoons of baking soda rubbed
smooth; stir soda quickly into candy.  After removing candy from fire, when thick
turn out on buttered platter and let cool.

(If you go to Buffalo and buy some sponge candy, you may choose to share some
with friends, but make sure they're sponge-worthy"--ed.)