St. Joseph's Bread (1931)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 27 04:25:44 UTC 2003

ST. JOSEPH'S BREAD--114 Google hits
   Not in..you know.
   "St. Joseph's Bread" or "Pane de San Giuseppe" should be in various American Italian communities, but it appears to be a specialty in Buffalo, New York.
   I didn't find a whole lot of citations for it, but it certainly exists.  Perhaps the Chicago Tribune will help here.

(GOOGLE)
http://www.allbaking.net/ch/2001/december/grace2.html
St. Joseph's Bread
 (Pane di San Giuseppe)
  St. Joseph's Bread is a traditional bread served on St. Joseph's Day, March 19. It is an egg bread with a crumb that has a tighter, denser weave, allowing the dough to be used for fancy bread-sculpting designs. Breads in the form of crosses, staffs, wheat sheaves, images of St. Joseph, and braids of the Blessed Mother adorn the St. Joseph table and are eaten throughout the feast day. I make this bread throughout the year when I am in a sculpting mood.

(GOOGLE)
http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m122901.htm
----- Original Message -----
From: jmf
To: phaedrus
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 7:42 PM
Subject: Pane Scunato

> This is a St. Joseph's day bread. It was a bakery  item in the
> Italian Bakeries on the days around this feast day in Buffalo N.Y
> Can you find this for me?

Hi,

I cannot locate anything with the name "pane scunato". However, there are lots of recipes for "St. Joseph's Bread", like the one below.

Phaed

ST. JOSEPH'S BREAD

This bread, called Pane di San Giuseppe, is traditionally made for the
Feast of St. Joseph on March 19.

2 to 3 C. unbleached flour
1/2 T. active dry yeast
1 T. honey
2/3 C. hot water
1/2 tsp. salt
2 T. butter
3 T. aniseed
1/3 C. golden raisins
Corn meal

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22joseph%27s+bread%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=33634399.7CD6%40concentric.net&rnum=9
NEW YORK
 Albany
  Grilled Shad
 Binghampton
  Speides/Speides Subs
 Buffalo
  Chicken Wings
  Beef on Weck
  Loganberry Pop
  Sponge Candy
  Butter Lamb
  St. Joseph's Bread
  Sahlen's Hot Dogs
 New York
  Bagels
  Jewish Deli (et. al.)
  Cheesecake
  Gibson Coctail
  New York Thin Crust Pizza
  Manhattan Clam Chowder
  Egg Cream
  Charlotte Russe
  Seltza
  Nathan's Hot Dogs
 Syracuse
  Salt Potatoes

(JSTOR)
Hoodoo in America
Zora Hurston
The Journal of American Folklore, Vol. 44, No. 174. (Oct. - Dec., 1931), pp. 317-417.
Pg. 359:  At eleven o'clock on March 19, St. joseph's Day, I rose...
   At high noon I was seated at the splendid altar.  it was dressed in the center with a huge communion cnadle with my name upon it set in sand, five large iced cakes in different colors, a plate of honeyed St. Jospeh's bread, a plate of serpent-shaped breads, spinach and egg cakes fried in olive oil, breaded Chinese okra fried in olive oil, roast veal and wine, two huge yellow bouquets, two red bouquets and two white bouquets and thirty-six yellow tapers and a bottle of holy water.