Re:       resyllabification

Mon Oct 27 04:42:03 UTC 2003

On Sunday, October 26, 2003, at 06:32 PM, RonButters at AOL.COM wrote,
about my resyllabification examples:

> Some quick thoughts:
> I wonder what happens to the potential aspiration of the /p/ in a
> resyllabified "Sandrip Roy". With a word boundary between the /p/ and
> the /r/, I believe
> there is normally little if any aspiration of the /p/. But with the
> word
> boundary before the /p/, I'd tend to aspirate the /p/ quite strongly.
> Compare
> "night rate" with "Nye Trait"--for me, the /t/ in "night rate" often
> gets reduced
> to a glottal stop (therefore without any aspiration). Of course, in
> these
> examples the stress is on the initial syllable, not the second one,
> but even so, I
> think I would in general have a lot of trouble EVER resyllabifying
> words that
> end in vowel + /t/, I think--the aspiration of the /t/ after the word
> boundary
> would make the resyllabified word sound too different. Could e.g.
> "rabbit
> rot" become "rabbi trot"?
>
> I think the same holds for "Mystic River "--> "Misty Criver" -- was
> the guy
> really resyllabifying it, or were you just missing some cues? Wouldn't
> there be
> aspiration on the /k/ if it were truly syllable-initial?

i should have been clearer.  both "Misty Crivver" and "Sandi Proy" had
syllable-initial aspiration; that's what made them so very noticeable.

bob edwards tends to have ingressive variants of syllable-initial (but
not syllable-final -- it's some sort of fortition) b, so his
resyllabification is also easy to hear.

arnold (zwicky at csli.stanford.edu)