BBQ (1951)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 27 08:06:22 UTC 2003

   "BBQ" is not an entry in the OED.  The OED definitely does initials--see
the first page for each letter.  No "BBQ"?  Not used enough?  Can't find three
citations?
   Merriam-Webster has an entry for "BBQ," but no date.
   Google has--are you ready for this?--5,450,000 hits for "BBQ."
   There are 356 "BBQ" trademarks, but most all are from the 1980s to the
present.
   Actually, "barbecue" should be "BBC," but that stands for something else.
   Ancestry should help here.  I searched "BBQ" with "barbecue*"
or"barbeque*" or "patio*" (for classified ads).  I also searched titles in the Library of
Congress.  I didn't check ProQuest.  There are two Marion newspaper "hits" for
1947, but they're actually from 1974.  I couldn't find anything before the
1950s!

   14 February 1951, NEVADA STATE JOURNAL (Reno, Nevada), pg. 13, col. 9
classified ad:
NEW home with fireplace, patio and b.bq.

   5 March 1953, OXNARD PRESS COURIER (Oxnard, California), pg. 19, col. 2
classified ad:
PRICE REDUCED on this beautiful, 2 bedroom home, has BBQ, water softener and
is a bargain at $2,000 down.

   26 November 1953, NEVADA STATE JOURNAL (Reno, Nevada), pg. 24, col. 6
classified ad:
Build a fence, patio or BBQ.

   26 June 1958, MOUNTAIN DEMOCRAT (Placerville, California), pg. 3. col. 8
ad:
Chuck Steal...69c
BBQ WITH ADOLPH'S TENDERIZER--lb

   4 May 1961, EDWARDSVILLE INTELLIGENCER (Edwardsville, Illionois), pg. 10,
col. 1 ad:
Dukee BBQ Spice...11-oz. jar 89c

   26 July 1962, CHRONCILE-TELEGRAM (Elyria, Ohio), pg.15, col. 1 ad:
Androck...The Biggest Name in BBQ Tools