resyllabification

Mon Oct 27 17:05:35 UTC 2003

arnold,

Good point. the aspiration on /k/ clearly disappears in the cluster.

Funny a half-baked southerner like me doesn't have any secondary
stress of the sort you indicate, but, since I delete initial
syllables (where possible), maybe that accounts for it. My favorite
example of this stress versus deletion interplay is 'Indianapolis.'
Southerners go for INduhNAPlus (with stress on the first) but quickly
go for NNNAPlus, with a monosyllabic but trimoraic first part.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor