Kaiser & Kipfel (1885)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 28 09:05:00 UTC 2003

MISC.

   I was busy running around today telling the Gotham Center and my city
council representative about the history of New York City.

TGIF--The ad that inspired my recent "TGIF" post is also in print in the
November 2003 GOURMET, first two pages.  It's for the New BMW 5 Series.

GOURMET--A GUIDE TO AMERICA'S BEST ROADFOOD by Jane and Michael Stern--This
is a 16-page supplement to the November GOURMET.  There's a photo of Ben's
Chili Bowl, Washington, D.C., that's known for "half smoke" (see recent post).
It's a nice supplement that...the Sterns did 20 years ago, almost word-for-word.
 I love the Sterns, but they just have to retire.  They get paid for decades
of the same stuff; I do new stuff every day in my spare time from parking
tickets, and make nothing.

KAISER & KIPFEL

   Is "kipfel" recorded anywhere?  There are over 1,000 Google hits.
   This Ancestry article is a nice find.

   22 September 1885, TRENTON TIMES (Trenton, New Jersey), pg. 3, col. 1:
_THE BREAD-MAKERS._

_HOW THE VARIOUS KINDS ARE MADE_
   _TO SUIT ALL TASTES._

_Steam Bakeries and the Bread They_
   _Make--"Boston Brown," "Home-_
   _Made," and Other Varieties_
   _Bread and People._
[Philadelphia Times.]
(...)
   A recent invention in bread is what is known in the trade as "steam."  It
isw made of the very best flour and baked in air-tight pans that enclose it on
all sides.  It is thus baked in its own steam and has a fine flavor.  The
tins mould it into a symmestrical loaf about twelve inches in length, perfectly
round and squared at the ends.
      VARIOUS TRADE NAMES.
   Only two bakers in the city make Boston brown bread, which is composed of
yellow corn and rye meal sweetened with molasses or brown sugar.  One baker
devotes his attention to what is known as aerated bread.  This is manufactured
altogether by steam and is peculiarly light and spongy.  While in course of
preparation the dough is charged with carbonic acid gas, which renders the bread
light without detracting in any way from its nutritious qualities,  Dyspeptics
can eat it without inconvenience.
   One of the most popular breads is a round compact loaf, which is known in
the trade as "home-made."  A small quantity of white corn meal is mixed with
the flour, which makes the bread firm and moist and renders it possible to keep
it several days in a fresh condition.
   The Schwartz and Kimmel bread, which is found on the lunch counter of
every beer saloon and is much prized and almost exclusively eaten by the Germans,
is made of black rye.  Its manufacture is confined to the small German bakers.
 Two or three Jewish bakers make the wafer-like Passover bread, which is
eaten by the failthful Jews during the great feast from which it takes its name.
   The large bakers have a variety of trade names for their goods, such as
Vienna, steam, cream, cream French, cream Vienna, home-made, bran and rye,
breakfast rolls, finger rolls, Vienna rolls, kaiser semmel and kipfels.  Among the
bakers if cheaper breads their goods are classed as rolls, twists, box and
brick.  The long and square Vienna loaves and their various imitations are most
eaten.
(...)
      BREAD AND PEOPLE.
   New Englanders are very fond of brown bread, which they eat with their
Sunday morning dish of baked beans.  During the week they eat the ordinary grades
of bread and are particularly partial to fresh tea-biscuit at night.  The
southerners eat corn bread, smoking hot, and their wheat bread is usually small,
flat soda biscuits, which are not palatable when cold.  Strange as it may
seem, the negro never eats corn bread if he can help it and prefers his wheat
bread warm and spongy.
   The English and Irish are fond of a peculiar bread baked on the hearth in
round loaves.  They like hteir bread cold and do not object if it is stale.
Americans as a class prefer wheat bread as white and fresh as possible.  The
Germans eat rye bread almost exclusively and are particularly fond of the
kimmel or seed bread.
   "The Italians and Chinese eat stale bread exclusively," said a baker, "and
I never yet heard of an Italian or a Chinaman suffering from dyspepsia or
the toothache."