Miracles (NY Chronology) & Non-Miracles (Chicago Public Library)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 30 03:41:59 UTC 2003

   We'll start with the "miracles."

MIRACLES

   I never posted this.  It's the first mention of my work on a local tv
newscast.  Of course, my name isn't mentioned with my work, and I got no money,
and it's twelve years too late, but hey, that still counts as a miracle in New
York and my life.

http://www.nbc4.com/answerstoaskliz2003/2166421/detail.html
NYC Big Apple and New Orleans Big Easy, House Appraisal, Rebates: 4/29/03

Q: I would like to know why New York City is called the Big Apple and why New
Orleans is called the Big Easy? I've been wondering these things for ages.

A: WE WENT TO SEVERAL SOURCES TO GET YOUR ANSWER. THE NEW YORK CITY "BIG
APPLE" REFERENCE IS ATTRIBUTED TO NEW YORK CITY MORNING TELEGRAPH REPORTER JOHN J.
FITZGERALD.

HE APPARENTLY HEARD THE EXPRESSION BEING USED BY AFRICAN AMERICAN STABLE
HANDS IN NEW ORLEANS IN 1921. THEY CALLED NEW YORK "THE BIG APPLE" MEANING "THE
BIG TIME."

THE NICKNAME WASN'T WIDELY USED UNTIL A 1971 WHEN IT BECAME PART OF A NEW
YORK CONVENTION AND VISITORS BUREAU PUBLICITY CAMPAIGN.

AS FOR NEW ORLEANS, THE TERM COMES FROM A TURN OF THE CENTURY JAZZ CLUB
CALLED THE "BIG EASY HALL." IN 1970 POLICE REPORTER JAMES CANOPY WROTE A
NEW-ORELEANS BASED CRIME NOVEL CALLED "THE BIG EASY." AND MUCH OF THE CREDIT GOES TO
TIMES-PICAYUNE COLUMNIST BETTY GUILLAUD WHO POPULARIZED THE PHRASE IN THE 1970'S.

   Here's another without money or credit:

THE NEW YORK CABBIE COOKBOOK
by Mary Ellen WInston and Holly Garrison
Philadelphia: Running Press Book Publishers
2003

Pg. 44:  BIG APPLE BITE:
   It's long been believed that New York was nicknamed "the Big Apple" by
jazz musicians who regarded a gig in Harlem to be a sign that they had made it.
It turns out that it had actually first appeared in the 1920s when reporter
John Fitzgerald, who reported on horse races for the _Morning Telegraph_,
referred to the New York racetrack.  Apparently, stable hands in New Orleans called
a trip to a New York racetrack the "Big Apple"--or sweet reward--for any
talented thoroughbred.  The term passed into popular uswage long after the
racetrack disappeared.

   Here's yet another--a double this time--without money or credit.  These
are the "miracles," mind you:

THE NEW YORK CHRONOLOGY
by James Trager
New York: HarperResource
2003

Pg. 304 (1906):  The "hot dog" gets its name by some accounts from a cartoon
by Chicago cartoonist Thomas Aloysius "Tad" Dorgan, 29, who shows a dachshund
inside a frankfurter bun (see Feldman, 1867), but New Haven vendors have
reportedly been selling frankfurters from "dog wagons" to students at Yale dorms
since 1894.

Pg. 703 (1971):  The Big Apple gets that name as part of a publicity campaign
organized by New York Convention and Visitors Bureau president Charles
Gillett, who revives a nickname first popularized more than 40 years ago by _Morning
Telegraph_ reporter John J. Fitz Gerald (who had heard it used at New Orleans
by black stablehands in reference to New York's racetracks).  The name of a
popular dance in the 1930s, it was used by jazz musicians of that era to mean
New York City.

   There are a few errors.  TAD was from San Francisco, not Chicago.  But in
these brutal few months, where Bruce Kraig gets credit for my "hot dog" work
and his own book promotion is incredibly wrong, where my "Big Apple" work is
either forgotten or ignored by the New York Public Library, the New-York
Historical Society, the Gotham Center, and former mayor Ed Koch, these are miracles.

NON-MIRACLES

   I have kept the Chicago Public Library informed of all early citations of
"the WIndy City."  No one has written back with anything at all, not even a
"thank you." Ever.   It was in May that I told the CPL to change its web site.
I was told the CPL is thinking about it.
   I told the CPL again.  Yet again, they're still "thinking."
   This is a web site.  This is a few lines of computer text that will take
about a minute or two to correct.  But it's Barry Popik--let's not do him any
favors.

Subj:   Response from CPL E-Mail Reference Team