Query, British Saying

Jonathon Green slang at ABECEDARY.NET
Fri Oct 31 08:28:52 UTC 2003

> So is it metaphoric for sinister and dark? Evil, of sorts. OR just
> something "otherworldly." Quirky and Gothic? What exactly does it mean?
And
> is it used outside of the UK?

Widdecombe, a singularly repellent figure in herself, was presumed to have
conjured the phrase up to decry her then boss, the even more odious Howard.
As you suggest, the image was of his being 'sinister and dark' (and he
did/does boast a suitably Dracula-like widow's peak, and cartoonists - see
for instance Steve Bell in yesterday's Guardian - have since used the phrase
to depict him as the Count). But otherwordly, quirky and Gothic - no way.
Just one more right-winger. It is unlikely that this Thatcherite hangover
will come to power, but after all, we hapless Brits have been ruled by her
true successor since 1997.

Jonathon Green