a small plea

Anne Gilbert kebara at COMCAST.NET
Fri Oct 31 22:40:11 UTC 2003

Peter:

> It looks as if there are basically two lists here under one "roof"--one
the
> lexicographers and the other the linguists/dialectologists.  The two
groups
> seem to have fundamentally different interests, and cross-pollination
seems
> rare, with each group mainly ignoring or deleting the other group's
> messages and sometimes getting grumbly about having to use the "delete"
key
> so often.  It feels somewhat heretical to say this, but what if the ADS
had
> two separate lists?  Anybody interested in both areas could subscribe to
> both, but nobody would have to.

This is not a "dumb" idea.  I don't mind the lexicographers; sometimes
they're quite entertaining, and good discussions flow from the things they
say and do.  But OTOH, there are lots of questions *I* have about certain
kinds of language changes and uses, that don't seem to be getting addressed
here.  If there were two lists, maybe I or the rest of you could look at
both or one or the other if you or they were so inclined.
Anne G