Conkies (1943, `1944); Searching Ancestry Secrets

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Sep 5 06:59:52 UTC 2003

SEARCHING ANCESTRY SECRETS

   It appears that www.newspaperarchive.com _does_ allow you to search for
phrases.  Use the "advanced search."
   Ancestry just has a first name & last name search, or a keyword search.
I've been getting wacky search results.  For example, first name "coined" and
last name "phrase" has over 1,000 hits.  First name "coined" and last name
"word" had 0 hits!
   Www.newspaperarchive.com lets you search for the exact phrase.  It's the
same database, but I'm not subscribed.  So I thought I'd search on that
database, then go to Ancestry to pull the citation.
   The thing just doesn't work well.  Say I get 100 results.  I see 1-10.
Then I request 11-20, and I still get 1-10.  I make a new search and the old
search is applied again.
   I've been going crazy.

CONKIES

   Where is a good date for "conkies"?  OED doesn't seem to have the popular
West Indian food.
   These two NYPL cookbooks were interesting reads and the earliest cookbooks
I'm likely to find.

WAR TIME RECIPES
FOR USE IN THE WEST INDIES
compiled by Mrs. St. J. Hodson
(1943?)

Pg. 19:  CONKIES.  (Mrs. E. Haynes)
1 pt. Corn Meal
1 gill Milk
1 lb. Sugar (heavyweight)
Spice & Salt to taste
1 1/2 Pumpkin
1 dessertspoon each of Lard and
1 grated Cocoanut
Butter
2 beaten Eggs
   Mix all together and boil either in individual conkies wrapped in pieces
of plantain leaf or in a buttered bowl and turn out to serve.

Pg. (no page number):
(A chef is shown giving the "OK" sign--ed.)
_"Believe it or not"_
_RIPLEY'S DISH_
(...)
  "Only," explained the butler, "it isn't spelled as it sounds.  It is
R-I-P-P-L-I.  And it wasn't named for you, for it has been prepared for generations
in Switzerland."

(There are over 1,500 Google hits for "rippli."  Most are in German.  It is
not in the OED--ed.)

THE HOUSEKEEPER'S GUIDE
FOR BRITISH GUIANA AND THE WEST INDIES
Comprising a Collection of Creole and other Recipes.
PUBLISHER: "THE ARGOSY" CO., LTD.,
DEMERARA.
1944

"Coveeched"...59
Conquintay Coo-Coo...137
Foo-Foo...133

Pg. 49:
      CONKIES.
3 large ripe plantains
1 tablespoonful butter
1 tablespoonful lard
Sugar to taste
A little nutmeg
Powdered cinnamon
Some raw conquintay flour
A green plantain leaf
   Boil 3 large ripe plantains in salted water.  When cooked press fine with
a fork, add a tablespoonful of melted butter, the same of lard, sugar to
taste, a grate of nutmeg and some powdered cinnamon and thicken to a stiff paste
with raw conquintay flour.  Take a green plantain leaf (it must not be too old),
lay it on a warm stove to make it limp, take away the rib and tear the leaf
part in pieces large enough to hold a spoonful of the mixture and fold into
little parcels.  Tie up each securely with a string of the dry "shag" of the
plantain.  Have ready a pot with boiling water and drop the cookies in.  Let them
boil for about an hour.