FWIW: NYU librarians and "Jazz"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Sep 8 18:15:27 UTC 2003

   Who is David Walton?  Was he on tv?

Search Result 1
 From: Kent Underwood (kent.underwood at NYU.EDU)
Subject: Re: [MLA-L] More on first citation of "jazz"

 This is the only article in this thread

 Newsgroups: bit.listserv.mla-l
Date: 2003-09-08 07:50:11 PST
Respondents to my posting on Friday (below) point to the Oxford English Dictionary entry on "jazz," which gives a 1909 gramophone recording "Uncle Josh in Society" as the earliest citation.  Uncle Josh did get around, but OED2, it seems, is wrong about the 1909 date, i.e.,

"The true etymology of 'jazz' is complicated by several infamous errors,
which keep recurring in popular accounts of the word's origin.  Even
the venerable OED2 makes an error.  The big dic [sic] first cites the
term as appearing in 1909 on a gramophone record 'Uncle Josh in
Society.'  This is an error.  The term didn't appear on the 1909
pressing of the record, but on a later, 1919, edition.  Also two French
dictionaries, 'Le Nouveau Petit Robert (1993) and 'Grand Larousse
Dictionnaire de la Langue Francais (1975) reference a 1908 use.  These
are typos; they should read 1918." --From "Wordorigins," ed. David Walton (1997-2003)<http://www.wordorigins.org>

And this from George Thompson, who discovered the now reigning 1912 Los Angeles Times citation:

"I first posted the 'Jazz Curve' to the discussion group of the American Dialect Society, ADS-L.  One of the other members, Prof. Gerald Cohen, has devoted two issues of a newsletter he publishes to the history of the word 'jazz.'  Some months ago he sent several messages to ADS-L demonstrating that the record that's the source of the OED's 1909 citation for 'jazz' was a version recorded in the late 1910s, if I remember, 1918.  I was involved in a discussion about the correct dates of the citations in the French dictionary.  I believe that all these discussions are excerpted in Cohen's latest compilation of material is a 91 page survey of what is known about the history of jazz: vol. 32, #4-5 (2002) of 'Comments on Etymology.'  If anyone is interested in it, it may be bought from him at the Dept. of Applied Arts and Cultural Studies, Univ. of Missouri at Rolla, Rolla, Missouri, 65401 (or gcohen at umr.edu)  The cost will probably be about $8 or $10; it's an installment of a new
s letter on the history of slang that sells for $15/year."

Kent Underwood
Music Librarian, New York University
Email:  kent.underwood at nyu.edu
Voice:  212-998-2523
Fax:  212-995-4794
Snail: 70 Washington Square South, New York, NY 10012