Saleratus (1832) & stuff

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Tue Sep 9 14:00:14 UTC 2003

On 9 Sep 2003, at 1:24, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> To M-W:  Is he really a wizard?  Why isn't he a
> word maven?  Do you have to do anything special to be a wizard?

President, Publisher, wizard, word maven, you name it -- John
wears a lot of hats.  I don't know what the official requirements are
for wizardry, but John works from about 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day
and usually comes in on weekends as well, so I suspect it involves
more than a wave of the wand. The real question in my mind is,
how does he stay so damned cheerful?

Joanne M. Despres, Senior Editor
Merriam-Webster, Inc.
jdespres at merriam-webster.com