First query after vacation

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 10 13:33:25 UTC 2003

At 7:24 AM -0400 9/10/03, Dave Wilton wrote:
>  > > Billionaire Bloomberg, scion of a wealthy Massachusetts
>>  family, on the
>>  other
>>  > hand...
>>  >
>>  Scion of a wealthy family? Is that a joke?
>
>No, it's not. While he earned the billions on his own, his family was
>definitely upper middle class and relatively well off. Not fabulously
>wealthy, merely well to do, upstanding citizens of Boston suburbia.

Well, there is a bit of an inconsistency here; if Bloomberg's
biosketch is right, he's the son of a bookkeeper for a dairy and he
"parked cars and took out loans to finance his education" at Johns
Hopkins.  That doesn't fit my definition of "scion of a wealthy
family" no matter how much stretching is done to notions of "well to
do".  Of course, the claim may be that the information on the web
site Enid linked us to is all phony and that his father actually
owned the dairy, but it does seem unlikely that a wealthy young man
whose parents were helping support him would have taken out a loan
and spent his college parking cars on the side for fun...