Alfalfa (1836), Pisco (1836), Tambo (1805)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Sep 12 07:50:36 UTC 2003

   The words wizards at the usual wizardry sites have 1845 for "alfalfa."
OED has 1849 for "pisco," a pleasant free drink to have when you fly Air Chile.
   I was just browsing through Peru.

THE PRESENT STATE OF PERU
(By Joseph Skinner--ed.)
London: Richard Phillips
1805

Pg. 280:  These first clamours conclude by several good pots of _masato_*, to
assuage the thirst of sorrow;...
*To procure this drink, they boil a certain quantity of _Yucas_, and having
reduced them into a paste, or meal, moisten it with saliva, leaving it to
ferment for three days.  By the addition of water, it becomes a very powerful and
intoxicating liquor.
(Revised OED??--ed.)

Pg. 299:  The instrument which afford some degree of melody,  is that which
they name _marimba_.

Pg. 301:  This is commonly the  _guarapo_, a species of fermented liquor, and
sometimes brandy.

Pg. 368:  "Seeing that in this department of Hambato, there is an abundance
of excellent wheaten flour, and that a great portion of the commerce consists
in the sale of bread, we offer a premium of fifty piastres to the baker who
shall make and present to us a specimen of the wheaten bread here named _pan de
agua_, well fermented, well kneaded, and well baked."
("Pan de agua" is also a Puerto Rican bread.  This is Quito--ed.)

Pg. 406:  The masato is their favourite drink.

Pg. 471:  HAVING quitted Chavin of Pariaca by the new road, the traveller has
to proceed four leagues to the town of Xican, whence to the _tambo_* of the
Virgin, he passes over a league of fertile ground abounding in pastures.
*For these tambos, or baiting places, resembling in their institutions the
caravansaries of the East, travellers are chiefly indebted to the benevolence of
the missionaries.
(OED has 1830 for "tambo"--ed.)

NARRATIVE OF A JOURNEY FROM LIMA TO PARA,
ACROSS THE ANDES AND DOWN THE AMAZON
By Lieutenant W. Smyth and Mr. F. Lowe
London: J. Murray
1836
Boston: Milford House
1973

Pg. 34:  ...all seemed to be a little elevated by chicha or huarapo.

Pg. 110:  The husband is either employed as a labourer--for which he receives
two rials (equal to a shilling) a day for his food--or he is a small farmer,
cultivating Indian corn, coca, and a grass called _alfalfa_, which resembles
clover.

Pg. 111:  They rise early in the morning, and take a bowl of chupe or
masamora, ground Indian corn boiled.  These dishes are a sort of soup, with yucas and
potatoes, and made extremely hot with pepper.  This meal being over, they sit
down and chew coca for about half an hour, and then proceed to their work.
The food they are supplied with when working in the haciendas or farms consists
exclusively of beans and roasted Indian corn, called "cancha."

Pg. 137:  The friends of our canoe-men brought down masata, aguardiente,
chicha, and huarapo for us to drink;...

Pg. 147:  ...an old woman, who offered us a bowl of masata, which, though
very thirsty, we could not make up our minds or mouths to swallow, and we
declined it.  This liquor is made from yucas boiled, and then chewed by the women
till it is reduced to a pulp, when they spit it into a jar and leave it to
ferment, and after two or three days it is drank mixed with water, and will produce
intoxication.

Pg. 181:  During the repast we presented him with a small jar of Pisco Italia
(a cordial made at Pisco, near Lima, from the grape), which, in spite of many
temptations to open, we had reserved for this occasion.