Choad/Chode--origin?

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Fri Sep 12 14:21:54 UTC 2003

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 07:15:37AM -0700, James Smith wrote:
> Jesse,
>
> No plausible vector?  Yogi Maharishi Mahesh, the
> Beatles in India, transcendental meditation, Kama
> Sutra, yoga, gurus, sitar music, etc. ... American and
> European youth in the 60's had great interest in and
> contact with the peoples and cultures of "Hindustan".

Yes, but none of these are likely to have contributed
a word that even 30 years later is still regarded as so
offensive that warnings about its use are given.
Granted, I wasn't very active during the '60s, but my
impression is that, as in the examples you give above,
Western youth culture was interested more in intellectual
branches of Eastern cultures than in obscene words for
sex.

Also, with this deep interest in various aspects of
Indian culture, are there any _other_ slang terms to
come from there?

Jesse Sheidlower
OED