Choad/Chode--origin?

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Fri Sep 12 15:34:19 UTC 2003

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 08:20:02AM -0700, James Smith wrote:
> --- Jesse Sheidlower <jester at PANIX.COM> wrote:
>
> > Also, with this deep interest in various aspects of
> > Indian culture, are there any _other_ slang terms to
> > come from there?
>
> Focus on the group that first used it in English, and
> you might find other, similar words.  ("Guru" has been
> around for a long time, but it seems to me that this
> was the period during which "guru" came into popular,
> common use.)

I've focused quite extensively on the slang of the late 1960s,
as have others here, and I have not found other, similar
words. _Guru_ is irrelevant; I freely concede that terms
referring to yoga, TM, sitar-playing, and so forth had
significant increases in their currency in this era. I'd like
to know other slang terms of this era, perhaps ones relating
to sex, that derive from Eastern languages. There should be
hundreds of them, with all those hormone-crazed hippies
getting together for beer after their meditation sessions.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED