"Buffy" slang in weekend Financial Times

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Sep 15 06:53:23 UTC 2003

http://www.image.ft.com/adimages/rich-FTB/GolfStandard_andy_period.swf

FT WEEKEND MAGAZINE - THE ARTS: Bite me, professor
By Ian Shuttleworth
Financial Times; Sep 13, 2003

It's one of the ultimate accolades for a writer with a genuine interest in
words: being cited in a dictionary - especially one published by the Oxford
University Press - as an example of first use of a particular term in a dictionary
entry. This summer I found myself cited not once but seven times. The glory!

Except that my citations aren't in the Oxford English Dictionary or any of
its authoritative spin-offs, but in a tome entitled Slayer Slang: a Buffy the
Vampire Slayer Lexicon (OUP, ý12.99). There I am, acknowledged as a pioneer in
the use of terms such as "five-by- five" (adj.: satisfied, good), "vamped"
(adj.: turned into a vampire), and "suckage" (across which it is perhaps best to
draw a veil).

Yet this is no youth-culture bandwagon publication. Slayer Slang's author,
Michael Adams, is chair of the English department at a liberal arts college in
Pennsylvania; his glossary of terms from the TV series and its various official
and unofficial offshoots is not only compiled in conventional scholarly
style, but is prefaced by several chapters on the forms and evolutions of slang,
and grew out of an essay first published in the respected linguistic periodical
Verbatim.
(...)

(The Financial Times: right on the money--ed.)