Walrus market

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Wed Sep 17 13:29:16 UTC 2003

<A HREF="http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/2003/09/03/cx_cd_0903sport.html">http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/2003/09/03/cx_cd_0903sport.html</A>

<begin quote>
The World's Most Expensive Yachts 2003
byline = 'Breckinridge Ely
<snip>
It would seem that mega-yacht prices are somehow linked to Hollywood film
budgets--in uncertain economic times, they go up. Those yachts that have left the
list (and presumably "sold") represent over $140 million worth of heavy metal
(and plastic). We dubbed last year's sagging yacht market a "walrus market,"
which is a yachtsman's version of a bear market. Now we see some yachts
ratcheting their prices skyward, while others are looking for a bottom with drastic
price cuts.
<end quote>

There is also a, probably unintentional, play on words in the last sentence.
Among shippers, "bottom" is a synonym for "merchant ship".

Incidentally, was it a stockbroker who was responsible for the Chicago Bulls
and the Chicago Bears?

      - Jim Landau