WOTY candidate(s): Iraqification, Iraqization

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Wed Sep 24 14:48:30 UTC 2003

>>Iraqification
>> ........... there are also six
>>Nexis hits on "Iraqization"...........
>>I prefer "Iraqification" on (I think) phonological grounds, but I
>>don't suppose I should play favorites.
>>
>>larry
 ~~~~~~~~~
I think more than just sound comes into this: there is a greater political
truth involved as well.  Unless my own sense of these suffixes is wrong,
there is a greater suggestion of arising from within in /-ization/, whereas
/-ification/ carries a sense of an outside agency bringing about  the
change.  It certainly looks like we're trying to avoid the former while
effecting the latter!
A. Murie

A&M Murie
N. Bangor NY