Bloody Mary

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Thu Sep 25 12:48:39 UTC 2003

My daughter wants to know whether Mary Tudor was called "Bloody Mary" because
she killed so many people or acquired the nickname "Bloody" because so many
people disliked her and used "Bloody" as a perjorative.

Also, considering that "Bl**dy" is an obscene term in British English, are
British schoolchildren allowed to refer to Mary Tudor as "Bloody Mary"?

               - Jim Landau

"When I say I like your ruddy complexion, that doesn't mean I like your
bloody cheek!"
    - W. S. Gilbert, to someone who objected to the name "Ruddigore"