Flappers' Dictionary (September 1922): "blouse" (to go);"sweetie"

Sam Clements sclements at NEO.RR.COM
Sun Sep 28 22:04:22 UTC 2003

In the same year(1922) and in the same state(IL), using ancestry.com, the
Decatur(IL) Review has an ad saying:
     Boys' Khaki flapper Suits, 89cents
    So much wanted two-piece suits , blouse and pants in flapper
style...........89 cents.

What do you make of that?
SC
----- Original Message -----
From: "Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at UMR.EDU>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2003 3:02 PM
Subject: Re: Flappers' Dictionary (September 1922): "blouse" (to
go);"sweetie"

> Two items in the 1922 Flappers' Dictionary caught my attention:
> 1) "blouse"--Why does "Let's blouse" mean "Let's go"? -- I don't see this
term in HDAS or Jonathon Green's _Cassell's Dictionary of Slang_.

> 2) "Sweetie"--anything a flapper hates. -- Cf. Ellen Goodman's syndicated
column today: "California--Arnold goes mano-a-womano' big mistake." e.g. in
St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 9/28/2003, sec. B, p. 3/1.
> The article concerns Schwarzenegger's comments to Arianna Huffington in
the debate a few days ago.. Goodman writes: "We know how you
[Schwarzennegger] bragged about creating this scene to Entertainment Weekly
last July: 'How many times do you get away with taking a woman and burying
her face in a toilet bowl?'" Now this? [His debate-comments to Huffington].