Gliterature or Glitterature

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Apr 1 15:47:06 UTC 2004

At 5:14 AM -0500 4/1/04, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>    Literature of the Glitterati.
>    From Wednesday's NEW YORK DAILY NEWS, 31 March 2004 (forgot to copy page):
>
>_Elaine's place in gliterature_
>    Two photos in A. E. Hotchner's new book "Everyone Comes to Elaine's" say
>it all.  The first is of William Styron, Frank Conroy and Irwin
>Shaw--young and
>full of promise--raising their glasses at the Second Ave. joint that's as
>storied as their books.
>

>      There aren't many Google hits for it yet.  Is it Gliterature or
>Glitterature?

Interesting that "gliterature" wins in the Google race.  I'd guess
this blend is based largely on the earlier "glitterati", which I've
usually seen with a double-t.  In fact a Google race on those shows
the double-t version winning in a landslide, 34,500 to 452.  But then
"literature" is more established in the English lexicon than
"literati" is.

Larry