"Need [to be] [adjectival phrase]"

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Sat Apr 3 12:41:11 UTC 2004

Both these features - need/want plus past participle and need/want
plus particle/adverbial phrases (not adjectives) - are spread far
beyond Pittsburgh. The best source for need + past participles is
Frazer, Murray, and Simon, "Need + past participle in American
English," AS 71:255-71 (1996); for want + past participle, see Murray
and Simon, "Want + past participle in American English" AS 74:140-64
(1999).

Particles and adverbial phrases after need and want have been the
subject of much less work but are now fully treated in Benson. This
Girl Wants Out, PhD Dissertation, Linguistics, Michigan State Univ.,
2003. (Good bibliography for participle as well as particle/adj.
phrase constructions with want, need, and even like [see PS].)

The observation that "The cat wants in" is unremarkable does not
account for the remarkability of "Move your damn car; I want (need)
around" and other Midland oddities treated by Benson.

dInIs

PS: Murray and Simon also treat like + pp in AS77:32-69 (2002).

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor