Johnny Canuck

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Apr 7 04:27:32 UTC 2004

In a message dated 4/7/2004 12:20:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
SClements at NEO.RR.COM writes:

> Many web sites say that "Johnny Canuck" was an editorial cartoon feature in
> the 1860's, the Canadian version of Uncle Sam.
>
> Can anyone provide such evidence?
>
> I can find a print cite from 1902 using newspaperarchive.  But nothing
> before that

   I posted this on 23 December 1997:

1862 HARPER'S WEEKLY 5 July 432, (cartoon)

LITTLE JOHNNY KANUCK. "Look here,Papa, you said if I'd abuse UNCLE SAM, you'd
take my part when he came over to whip me."

PAPA JOHN BULL. "Ah! but that was before the rascal got his_Monitors_ and
_Parrott Guns_. You must take care of yourself, young man."

LITTLE JOHNNY KANUCK (_crying_). "Oh! oh! oh!"