"Semitic guess"

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Sun Apr 11 16:01:19 UTC 2004

I got some help on this one from Chip Tucker, a Victorianist at UVa.
According to a note in Ian Jack et al.'s 1991 Oxford edition of
Browning, the phrase evokes "a hypothesis about some difficult point
in Hebrew, or some other Semitic language," and a note in the Yale
Poets edition more-or-less concurs -- hence, I suppose, it's a
conjecture about some obscure philological nicety. Even given
Browning's demonstrated interest in philology, it sounds a little
far-fetched, but then so do the explanations of a lot of Browning's
references -- it's Semitic guesses all the way down.

Geoff Nunberg