"(Why jump from a) Perfectly good airplane" (1971)

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 12 19:31:37 UTC 2004

In a message dated 4 Sun, 11 Apr 2004 18:00:19 -0400, Barry Popik
Bapopik at AOL.COM cited:

.Why Would Anyone Jump Out A PERFECTLY GOOD AIRPLANE "There
> is no way to describe..
>  Frederick, Maryland Saturday, September 18, 1971

It's a good deal older than 1971.  The conversation I cited with the Green
Beret took place in 1970.

"Mission of Gravity" by Hal Clement (pseud. for Harry Clement Stubbs), which
first appeared as a serial in Astounding Science Fiction in the 1950's, had
another classic parachuting quote.  My copy is not at hand, but the quote was
approximately:  "This [parachute] rigger would not have to jump his own chute."

      - James A. Landau