"(a woman) built for speed" -- was: urgent please

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Apr 13 16:18:57 UTC 2004

The reference is almost certainly to a car. Car references are used
frequently in the blues for sexual imagery (just one of many sexual
images used there). A car built for speed will no doubt give a good
ride.

    Just one example (Robert Johnson's Teraplane Blues (From Eric
Sackheim's _The
Blues Line_, p. 218):

  "I said I'd flash your lights, mama,
                Your horn won't even blow
          (somebody's been running my battery down on this machine)
I even flashed my lights, mama,
                        this horn won't even blow
Got a short in this connection,
                hoo-well babe, and it's way down below.
I'm going h'ist your hood, mama,
                I'm bound to check your oil.
   [etc. etc. etc]."

    As for the song with "Papa may have, mama may have, But got bless
the child that's got his own...---[ending] 'He just worry 'bout
nothin' Cause he's got his own", I'd need to see all the lyrics to
judge. But anyone approaching blues lyrics without a full
appreciation about how almost anything can be given a sexual
interpretation is likely to miss what's really being said. Even
*with* such an appreciation, some sexual references may be missed.

Gerald Cohen
author of "Sexual Terms and Metaphors in the Blues, Part 1. in:
Gerald Leonard Cohen: Studies in Slang, Part V, (Frankfurt a.M.:
Peter Lang,1997, pp. 73-126.