Snarf

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Fri Apr 16 11:42:26 UTC 2004

Sam Clements wrote:
:Barry Popik wrote:

:: OED does not have "snarf."  The CASSELL DICTIONARY OF SLANG has
:: "snarf,' meaning to eat or to drink, from 1960s+.

: Ms. Despres over at M-W does a great job of listing the verb "snarf"
: from 1965, coming probably from the verb "scarf" ca. 1960,  coming
: from the mid-1800's verb "scoff."

And in some cases (including my own), it seems to have a related but
different meaning, in that it's the *reverse* of eating or drinking. For
example, since <quick GoogleGroups search> 1997 I've awarded occasional
"snarf-the-morning-beverage-of-your-choice-through-your-nose awards" to
astonishingly bizarre posts on a couple newsgroups I read.

I picked the usage up from somewhere--I'm certain it's not original to
me--though I can't find any earlier USENET uses in Google's archive. (I
think I may have picked it up from rec.humor.oracle[.d] or alt.fan.warlord.)

David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx