"morally bankrupt"

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Fri Apr 16 21:08:26 UTC 2004

        Not to dump too badly on James Landau, but "morally bankrupt" not only predates the Vietnam War, it also was not restricted to discussions of the Vietnam War during the time of the war or afterwards.  For example, President Nixon called the free speech conclusions of the commission on pornography morally bankrupt in 1970.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of FRITZ JUENGLING
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 5:10 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "morally bankrupt"

I disagree with the statement "the term "morally
bankrupt" is and has been used exclusively in discusssions of the Vietnam War."  I have used and heard it for years without reference to the Vietnam War.  For me, there is no connection.
Fritz Juengling

>>> JJJRLandau at AOL.COM 04/16/04 07:29AM >>>
I was reviewing a manuscript by a writer friend in which he has a character
say "morally bankrupt" in May 1964.  No way, I told him, the term "morally
bankrupt" is and has been used exclusively in discusssions of the Vietnam War and
had not been invented by May 1964.

Which of us was right?

      - James A. Landau