ADJ (of) a -- where's the plural?

Benjamin Barrett bjb5 at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Sat Apr 17 20:54:25 UTC 2004

Try reducing the "of" to "a" in the plural form...

To me, there is no version without the "of". "He's too good a shooter"
comes from "good of a" where the "of" is reduced to a schwa and
phonetically combines with the article. The plural works fine: They're too
good a (=of) shooters.

The question "How good a (=of) shooters are they" is just fine as well.

Admittedly, in the plural version, using the unreduced form of "of" sounds
odd, probably because it isn't used. I've seen a couple other uses of "of"
where the unreduced forms sounds strange, though I can't recall any right
now.

Benjamin Barrett