???Re: ADJ (of) a -- where's the plural?

Benjamin Barrett bjb5 at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Sun Apr 18 06:27:11 UTC 2004

In the example, "He's too good a shooter", the "a" is short for "of a" for
me. There isn't an issue of whether the "of" adds something or not, it's
simply part and parcel to the phrase.

I'm not sure what you mean by "original"; I'm simply trying to explain how
I have always parsed this construction and note how it explains the plural
issue mentioned earlier in the thread.

Benjamin Barrett