intransitive "hail as" = 'be; count as'

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Tue Apr 20 11:46:05 UTC 2004

From:    "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel at LDC.UPENN.EDU>

: Over my morning coffee I was startled by this sentence:

: "She currently hails as chief librarian of the Moorland-Spingarn
: Research Center..."

: (_Rolling Out - Philadelphia_ v3n02, April 15, 2004., p. 8? (many
: pages not numbered)  Column:  Work in Progress. [focus on Jean Currie
: Church, Chief Librarian, Howard University])

: This use of "hail" was new to me. I took it as an extension, possibly
: erroneous, of "hail from" 'be from [a place]'.

<cue complete and utter speculation> If it goes back very far in time, might
it be related to the Modern German verb /heissen/ 'to be known as/named',
but just have floated along below the radar until now?

(I admittedly know nothing about the history of the more expected uses of
"hail" and can't look it up right now.)

<snip>

David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx