Possessive Antecedent Again

Geoff Nathan an6993 at WAYNE.EDU
Fri Apr 23 13:11:05 UTC 2004

I have no intention of stirring up this debate again, but I read a sentence
this morning where there was an alarming ambiguity that I realized was
induced by this construction and it brought me up short.  It was on the CNN
website
(http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/04/22/amorous.rhino.reut/index.html)
and dealt with a rhinoceros attempting to mate with a car.  In the sentence
below there is a serious problem with the coreferent of 'he' in the 'when'
clause:

>Sharka, a two-ton white rhino, got amorous with Dave Alsop's car when he
>stopped with three friends to take pictures of the animal mating with his
>partner Trixie at the West Midland Safari Park.

For your amusement on this Friday near the end of the American semester.

Geoff