Magicians' words

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Apr 28 03:22:13 UTC 2004

I assume you are aware that Shazam is not a traditional magicians' incantatory phrase at all, but instead was introduced in Whiz Comics in 1940 as both the name of an ancient wizard and the exclamation by which Billy Batson transformed himself into Captain Marvel.  The name is an acronym for Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, and Mercury.

John Baker

	-----Original Message-----
	From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Michael Quinion
	Sent: Mon 4/26/2004 3:57 PM
	To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
	Subject: Magicians' words

	Can anyone help me out, off list for preference, with more examples
	of traditional magicians' incantatory phrases, of the "by jingo",
	"hey presto", "presto chango", "abracadabra", "shazam", "alakazam"
	type? I am sure there are more in widespread use, but my mind's gone
	blank and a deadline approaches!

	--
	Michael Quinion
	Editor, World Wide Words