Climbing Lane; Madiba shirt

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Apr 28 16:35:17 UTC 2004

   Greetings from the airport in Johannesburg.  I have almost no time to write this, as usual.

CLIMBING LANE--On the way to the airport in Windhoek, I noticed a "CLIMBING LANE."  I was told that this is a lane for "passing."  So why don't they call it a "passing lane"?  The driver didn't know.  OED?

MADIBA SHIRT--from THE STAR (www.star.cp.za), 28 April 2004, pg. 1, col. 2:  "To signify that it was indeed a very special day, Nelson Mandela dumped his Madiba shirts and wore a suit and tie."  OED have Madiba?

OT:  BOBST BOY--Also in the South African STAR is a bizarre story of Steve Stanzak, an NYU sophomore who lived in the sub-basement of the Bobst Library.  His internet journal is at www.homelessatnyu.com.  George Thompson--I'll be there in about 22 hours.  Clean up the place, won't you?