childhood rhymes

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Aug 1 03:06:17 UTC 2004

On Jul 31, 2004, at 10:29 PM, Geoffrey S. Nathan wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Geoffrey S. Nathan" <an6993 at WAYNE.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: childhood rhymes
> --------

> anyone
> else familiar with "One, Two,<br>
> Three, O'Leary" and/or "Heel, Toe, Stomp, and Over"?
> These
> are the same<br>
> game. "One, Two" is the white version and "Heel,
> Toe"
> is the black<br>
> version. Back in the '40's in Saint Louis, this game was played by<br>
> pre-adolescent girls. While playing the game, the girls chanted the<br>
> words sing-song style, with both whites and blacks using the same
> tune.<br>
> The game itself involved bouncing a ball, usually a tennis ball, in<br>
> time with each syllable of the chant while, at the same time,<br>
> performing the foot-and-leg actions described in the black
> version</blockquote><br>
> Margaret Winters reports that she learned the 'One, two three O'Leary'
> version from her mother, which antedates it to the early
> twenties.
> She notes that in NYC people used 'spaldeens', as tennis balls were
> reserved for the rich kids (like Wilson ;-) )<br><br>
> Geoff</font></body>

Early '20's?! Wow! Even my mother, who's 93, was a girl in those days!
Well, the tennis balls were used, not new!;-) And, by the way, what the
hell is a "spaldeen'? I know this word only as a literary term. When I
first ran across it, way back when, I assumed that it was a term for a
baseball, derived from the "Spalding" brand name. However, further
reading over the years has persuaded me that it's either not a baseball
or is not only a baseball.
Do me some solid and tell me and explain it to me. I'd consider it a
real mitzve.

-Wilson