childhood rhymes

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 2 16:27:32 UTC 2004

At 4:52 PM -0700 8/1/04, David Colburn wrote:
> [...]

I overlapped with your father in the same neighborhood.  My formative
years were spent on Fort Washington Ave. (between Riverside Drive and
Broadway) at W. 163d St. from 1948 to 1957, and "spaldEEN" was
definitely pronounced that way.

As discussed some time ago on the list, in re NYC nostalgia, we also
played "salug(g)i", a game where you take something from some kid,
maybe a cap or a baseball glove, and toss it around among your
friends while calling "salug(g)i".  Game ends when the kid gives up
trying to get it back and starts crying.  It's sort of the New York
version of keep-away, the difference being in the contrast between

"Let's play{keep-away/#saluggi}--I'll be It".

--Larry, a player and a playee