unthaw

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Mon Aug 2 16:33:14 UTC 2004

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 12:08:41PM -0400, Laurence Horn wrote:

> [Another example of an attested form clearly outside the Whorfian
> cryptotype is "OK, I take it back--Unfuck you!"]

I've heard _unfuck_ suggested--seriously--as a replacement for
_fuck_ in _fuck you!_ on the specific grounds that _fuck you_
"should" be a positive thing to say to someone--wishing them
copulation, etc.

_unfuck_ meaning 'correct; fix' (i.e. the opposite of _fuck
up_) is pretty well attested, and I put it into ed. 2 of
_The F-Word_.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED