Re:       Re: The history of saluting

Wed Aug 4 01:53:21 UTC 2004

In a message dated 8/3/04 7:23:02 PM, JMB at STRADLEY.COM writes:

> In
> a university setting, if an instructor approaches the university
> president on the quad, who, if anyone, would speak first, if at all?

My memory is sometimes one, sometimes the other. This happens a lot; they
have all walked around a lot during my years at Duke. And if we make eye
contact--which is usually the case--the order of speaking seems unimportant.

I've known four Duke University presidents during my 37 years here, two of
whom knew me by name, though they tended to call me "Tom," Mr. Tom Butters
having been the Director of Athletics during much of the past 35 years. The current
president often calls me "Mack" because I look so much like my colleague,
Mack O'Barr, I think. The next president is a member of my Department, so Iassume
I'll get to know him as well.