evolution of "cheap date", + "Asian flush"

Indigo Som indigo at WELL.COM
Wed Aug 4 17:07:50 UTC 2004

Oh yeah, I have heard this version of "cheap date" too, but much less
often. Perhaps because most of us are artists, writers, perpetual
students, adjunct instructors, &c., so most dates are cheap,
food-wise (although that's starting to change as some of us get
tenure, real jobs, &c. -- I wonder if we'll start using food-related
"cheap date" more?). Interesting you should mention Applebee's --
we're all such food snobs that we'd never even think of going there.
That would be an automatic *bad* date! Our cheap food dates involve
obscure Vietnamese restaurants & such. Ah, life in the Bay Area....

I should state for the record that all of this talk about dates is
secondhand &/or theoretical, since I've been about as married as I
can get for a very long time. Even so, I & other of my married
friends still use "cheap date" to refer to our low alcohol tolerance.
Can't remember if I have already at some point mentioned the related
term "Asian flush": I get red in the face (although not drunk) after
half a glass of wine.

--
Indigo Som
http://www.indigosom.com

Poets don't have hobbies; they have obsessions --Leonard Nathan