Snerd (1948-1951)

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Aug 5 03:28:31 UTC 2004

Q. What's the difference between a Cadillac and a Cadiddlelac?
A. Well, the Cadiddlelac has a diddle in the middle.

                       -Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer, who was a buck-toothed yokel, may possibly be the inspiration
for Cletus the Buck-Toothed Yokel of The Simpsons. He also had a catch
phrase, "It's possa-bull, it's possa-bull."

Have you tried the spelling "gnurd," which appeared, with accompanying
illustration, in the National Lampoon some time in the '70's. The
illustration was of a stereotypical "nerd" in the contemporary sense:
broken glasses held together with tape, pocket protector, cuffed,
hish-water britches pants, sagging argyle ankle socks etc.

-Wilson Gray