Really Really Pimpin' in Da South

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Aug 6 13:34:08 UTC 2004

On Aug 6, 2004, at 7:50 AM, David Bowie wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       David Bowie <db.list at PMPKN.NET>
> Subject:      Re: Really Really Pimpin' in Da South
> --------
>
> From:    Wilson Gray <hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET>
> : John Baker wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> ::  Finally, "players"
>
> : "What's happenin, player?": standard greeting from one pimp to
> : another. Also randomly used by any black guy to another.
>
> Not just black guys!

You are correct, sir!. I was talking about the now-distant (though, of
course, it seems like only yesterday, to coin a phrase) past in a
particular place: the early '60's in black L.A. Back in those days,
neither "play(er)" nor "game" had any particular relationship to
pimping. These words still primarily called to mind sports. Anybody who
was good at any sport or game, even chess, would be referred to as a
"player." At that time, it seemed to me that "player" = "pimp" was a
pun based on the fact that the pimping/prostitution scene was still
referred to as "the *sporting* life," perhaps also influenced by
"Playboy," as in the magazine. This was just *my* impression. I have no
idea whether anyone else felt this way.

By coincidence, the 51st Armored Rifle Battalion, stationed in
Heilbronn, Germany, when I was there, had as its motto, "Play The
Game!"

The first serious mating of "player" with "pimp" that I know of is in
the book, "Black Players: the secret world of black pimps," written by
Christina Milner and published in 1973. Again, this is merely to the
best of my knowledge. I'm making no claim.

-Wilson Gray