ADS Annual Meeting: Deadline Extended

AAllan at AOL.COM AAllan at AOL.COM
Fri Aug 6 14:15:53 UTC 2004

To ADS members and friends:

You know we're meeting in what local columnist Herb Caen used to call
"Baghdad-by-the Bay" in January 2005. If that placename needs translation, go to the
news section of our website for straightforward information:

http://americandialect.org/news.html

This is to remind you that the deadline for proposals for that meeting is
coming soon: Monday, August 16. But here is a SPECIAL OFFER: the deadline has
been extended to Friday, August 20!

You will find particulars about proposals on that web page. Briefly, though,
you should send them to me at

AAllan at aol.com

and that's the address for questions and inquiries too. After the deadline,
the program committee, chaired by ADS VP Joan Hall of DARE (how's that for
acronymania?), will select and arrange the schedule, and you'll get their decision
in September.

If you've been waiting for this announcement in the Newsletter of the
American Dialect Society, don't. Regrettably, I haven't produced an issue since May
2003. I do hope to have one for September once the program has been determined.
Meanwhile, though, look at our fine website for news.

Best wishes - Allan Metcalf, ADS executive secretary