m & n

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 9 15:24:52 UTC 2004

David Bowie said:
>From:    Thomas Paikeday thomaspaikeday at SPRINT.CA
>
><snip>
>
>: QUESTION TO PHONETICIANS: Is this something like metathesis as in the
>: commonly heard "aks" for "ask" with a vowel thrown in between the
>: consonants in question?...
>
>Somewhere along my training as a sociolinguist, i'd been told that the
>ask/aks thing can be traced back to competing OE forms ascan/acsan, not
>simply to (recent) metathesis. Is this real, or just a bit of linguistic
>myth?

It's true. Furthermore, I believe that "acs(i)an" is the original
form. I recall checking this in the OED at one point, but can't do so
(again) at the moment).

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963